WLAN, copying, scanning, printing, saving
Everything about WLAN, Eduroam & copy cards. Bring your USB stick with you!
Students, employees and researchers
Eduroram can be accessed by the following groups:
- Students and employees of the University of Cologne
- Students and researchers of another university which is part of the eduroam network
Eduroam, an initiative on part of universities worldwide, enables ease of access to WLAN free of charge for students and researchers at all participating universities.
The University of Cologne is part of the eduroam network. Your university too? Then you can use our WLAN free of charge!
The login (authentication) process for WLAN is as follows:
- for students of the University of Cologne: student-account + ‘…@uni-koeln.de + password
- for employees of the University of Cologne: employee-account + ‘…@uni-koeln.de + password
- for students and researchers of another edurouam-participating university: user validation/university validation/university account + password of the home university
The computer centre (Rechenzentrum) is responsible for the maintenance and supervision of the WLAN network.
External users without WLAN
External users are:
- students and researchers of universities which are not part of the eduroam network
- private individuals
Take advantage of our internet workstations in the first floor (1.0G) of the main department or the PC-workstations in the Curative education reading room, in journal loans (Magazinausleihe) or in the textbook collection (Lehrbuchsammlung) of the Human Sciences Department. At these stations, you will be able to download all campus licensed e-media.
Don’t forget your USB-Stick!
For copying, printing and scanning, several copy/print systems of the company DiGiTEXX are available, the use of which is with costs. Furthermore, there are some scanners at which you can scan for free.
Locations of the copy/print systems of the company DiGiTEXX
- 2 devices in the copy and scan room on the 1st floor
- 1 device in the PC pool on the 2nd floor (due to corona, you cannot use this device at present).
Department of Human Sciences
- 1 device at the issue counter on the basement floor (due to corona conditions, you cannot use this device at present)
- 1 device in the Curative Education Reading Room (due to corona conditions, you cannot use this device at present.)
- You can also use the DiGiTEXX copy/print systems in the corridor towards the C-tract.
You can find more copy/print systems on campus via the DiGiTEXX copy finder
Prices and payment methods for copies, prints and scans
Copies and prints
1 copy in DIN A4/one-sided/black and white format 0,06 €
1 copy in DIN A4/one-sided/color format 0,24 €
1 scan in DIN A4/one-sided/black and white or color format 0,06 €.
Online payment procedure
The costs incurred will be settled via the payment service provider KUARIO.
The print tickets are invalid from 01.08.2020. Read more >>
in the main library
- 1 scanner in the text book collection (ground floor)
- 3 scanners in the copy room (1st floor)
- 1 scanner next to the pick up area (pick-up shelves, 1st floor)
- 1 scanner in the no-delay lending area (1st floor)
- 1 scanner in feading room VII (2nd floor)
- 1 scanner for microfilms and microfiches in the reading room (2nd floor, cabin 4)
You can obtain the key for the cabin in reading room I at the reading room and interlibrary loan counter (1st floor).
Use of the scanners is free. Only a USB-stick is required.
Note: most USB-sticks are compatible with the scanners. In the case of external USB-harddrives, smartphones and other USB devices which require special drivers, problems can occur. USB-sticks with U3-software are not compatible.
Please read the instructions for the WalkUp Scan Station, as well as the information pertaining to copyright rules.
in the Department of Human Sciences
- 2 flatbed scanners at PC workstations in the reading room Humanities. The use of the scanners is free of charge.
Saving on your sofs drive (SoFS - free online storage space of the University of Cologne) or storage medium is possible.
Printing with Follow-Me-Printing
The principle of "Follow-Me-Printing" is used for print jobs. This allows you to send your jobs to the KUARIO cloud independent of the device (via browser) or via the KUARIO printer driver on your computer. You can retrieve your print job at any DiGiTEXX copy/print system on the Campus.
Printing instructions (German)
Permitted file formats when printing from USB stick
- MS Word
- MS Excel
- JPEG and TIFF
Saving/backing up of documents
Saving documents is possible at the Internet workstations (drive E:). Please bring a USB stick with you. All USB storage media that require independent drivers, such as USB hard drives, mobile phones, USB sticks with U3 software, etc. will not work on these devices.
You will find the Internet workstations in the main library on the 1st floor.
In the Department of Human Sciences there are 3 internet workstations in the closed stacks issue counter, 2 in the textbook collection and 2 in the Curative Education reading room.
Further information for the saving/backing up of documents can be found in the instructions of the computer and data processing centre (RRZK) of the University of Cologne.
- SoFS drive (SoFS - free online storage of the University of Cologne)
- Accrssing the Unix-Homedirectory (Networkdrive h:, German)
You will find multimedia workstations in the main library on the 2nd floor and in the Department of Human Sciences in the Humanties reading room, in the closed stacks issue counter and in the Curative Education reading room.
Scanning or copying microfiche and microfilms
On the 2nd floor of the Reading Room there is a scanner for microfilms and microfiches. You can save microfiches and microfilms on your own USB stick free of charge. However, paper copies are not possible here. You can obtain the key for the workstation at the reading room and inter-library loan desk. Please understand that we cannot offer personal support for this free service. Please contact us if you have any technical problems:
In the event of scanner malfunction or defects, please turn to Wolfgang Schneider
You are welcome to send us your digitisation orders by e-mail order form (German) (PDF, 560KB) or as a printout in the reading room I or in the reading room Historical Collections personally.
Reading microfiche and microfilms
Microfiche and microfilm reading stations are located on the second floor of the Reading Room. The key for the reading stations can be picked up at the helpdesk in the reading room and interlibrary loans counter on the first floor.