DFG grant for Open Access publication fees
For the period 2022-2024, the DFG has approved the UCL's "Open Access Publication Costs" application. As a scientist the University of Cologne/Uniklinik, you can have your primary Open Access publication of journal articles (Gold Open Access) subsidised with 700 €.
Are you planning an OA publication and would like to know whether cost coverage/discounting through transformation contracts or a grant is possible?
Contact us before submitting your article so that we can check this for you.
Funding conditions for Gold Open Access articles submitted on or after 01.01.2022:
- At the time of submission, you are a member of the University of Cologne and "corresponding author" of the article.
- Only articles in original OA journals ("Golden Path") that apply recognised, strict quality assurance procedures (peer review) in the respective subject can be funded. An overview of such journals is provided, for example, by the DOAJ - Directory of Open Access Journals.
- The article must be of the type "research article". Non-research articles are not eligible.
- Open Access in subscription journals (hybrid or "Open Choice" model) is not subsidised. In some cases, Open Access is covered by transformation contracts (e.g. DEAL project), so you can already publish here free of charge.
Overview of our contracts with academic publishers >>
- Open Access in mirror journals is not subsidised, even if they can be found in the DOAJ. The mirror journal is a name-like offshoot of a subscription journal and is thus a form of hybrid journal.
- If DFG publication funds are available for the article, the grant should not be claimed. Double funding must be avoided.
- The publications must be provided by the authors with licences that regulate the subsequent use of the publications in a legally secure manner. The DFG recommends CC-BY or CC-BY-SA as the standard.
- Make sure to use your ORCID. The affiliation is described in the Publication Guidelines of the University of Cologne.
- In your article, refer to this funding including the funding number (funding acknowledgement):
- Example of wording in German: "Die Open-Access-Publikationskosten wurden gefördert durch die Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, 491454339)".
- Example of wording in English: "We acknowledge support for the Article Processing Charge from the DFG (German Research Foundation, 491454339)".
How to submit your invoice for publication costs:
- Scientists at the University of Cologne should forward the electronically pre-filled invoice from the Central Invoice Receipt Office electronically to Inga Frieman (cost centre 300102200: UCL-Dec2 Media procurement/processing).
Forward the grant application form to email@example.com by now at the latest.
- Invoice processing differs for the Uniklinik Köln (University Hospital of Cologne). Please contact us as soon as you receive the invoice.