The "Belgian House" in Cologne - Consulate General for Belgian Citizens until 2015
The architecturally remarkable "Belgian House" is located in the Cäcilienstraße near the Neumarkt. The building, which was built in 1948/49 by the Belgian state, contained a hotel, a restaurant, meeting and event rooms as well as a small library.
The Consulate General in Cologne was responsible for Belgian citizens in the federal states of North Rhine-Westphalia, the Rhineland Palatinate and Saarland, but was also involved in communicating Belgian culture and promoting economic contacts. When the Belgian state decided to reduce its locations in Germany in 2015, the Cologne Consulate General was subsequently closed.
The "Belgian House" continues to be used today as a venue for events and serves as an interim quarter of the Roman-Germanic Museum (RGM). Since 2015, an association of the Friends of the Belgian House has had the goal of preserving the "Belgian House" as a place for cultural encounters between Germans and Belgians.