Sustainability in libraries
Actions & Offers
+++ 07.10.2020: Collecting crown caps for a good cause +++
Shortly before the end of the Sustainability Action Days 2020 - and even beyond - we are collecting for a good cause: From now on, you can throw crown caps into a tin can in our foyer. The crown caps will then be sent by parcel to the Cologne initiative blechwech.de on a frequent basis. The Cologne initiative "blechwech.de" collects under the slogan "1 crown cap weighs 1.9g. - to let a child inoculate, we need only 890 g.". The proceeds go to an SOS clinic in Liberia.
We are already collecting diligently - join us!
+++ 18.9. - 8.10.2020: Action Days Sustainability - Your ideas are welcome! +++
In September the "Action Days for Sustainability" will start nationwide with the aim of making exemplary commitment visible throughout Germany, attracting public attention to the topic of sustainability and motivating more people to act sustainably.
We are interested in hearing your ideas on the topic of sustainability for university libraries. If you would like to participate, please send us your thoughts and suggestions by e-mail to: email@example.com.
+++ 10.9.2020: Climate portal of the Brockhaus is activated +++
The portal presents comprehensive information under the aspects of history, climate system, outlook, politics and statistics via VPN for students of the University of Cologne.
Our contribution to Agenda 2030
In 2015 the Agenda 2030 was signed by all UN member states. It comprises 17 goals and is considered a milestone of global cooperation. The aim is to achieve economic progress in harmony with social justice within the ecological limits of the earth.
As a university library we contribute to these goals.
ENSURE A HEALTHY LIFE FOR ALL PEOPLE OF ALL AGES AND PROMOTE THEIR WELL-BEING
You can search the holdings of ZB MED - Information Centre for Life Sciences via our portal. Databases and e-journals on medicine can be located by clicking on Search in your subject area - Medicine >>
ENSURE INCLUSIVE, EQUITABLE AND QUALITY EDUCATION AND PROMOTE LIFELONG LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES FOR ALL
With our information resources and services, we are committed to the goal 4: QUALITY EDUCATION and make a major contribution to this goal. This is made visible by these examples, among others:
- Our service for scientists at the University of Cologne: We support research projects in the area of data management. For all those who are planning to publish their research results, we have tips and contact information on where you can publish online or establish an Open Access journal with your institute. Research & Publishing >>
- We offer online research courses. Online research courses (German) >>
- Our YouTube videos give you an overview of our library, tips on research and how to use e-books. With the audio tour you can explore the library on your own. Audio tour and info films >>
- Students and staff of the University of Cologne can access about 14,000 learning videos. Authentication is done via the Regional Computing Centre (RRZK) of the University of Cologne >>
REDUCE INEQUALITIES WITHIN, FROM AND BETWEEN COUNTRIES
- Our numerous activities in the field of Open Access contribute to the promotion of unhindered access to scientific information. Open Access publications are also freely accessible in countries that cannot afford to provide access to paid literature - as long as the necessary technical infrastructure is in place. Open Access at a glance >>
- Through our collection portals, we are increasingly receiving inquiries from researchers from abroad. In this way we contribute to international research support. Collections & Specializations >>
- In cooperation with the Servicezentrum Inklusion, we digitise books, learning materials and scripts, to make them readable for visually impaired students. Knowledge that matters. We make books readable >>
- We issue free library cards to people on low incomes. Annual fee library card >>
- Our parent-child room on the 1st floor makes it easier for students with children to learn in the library. It is furnished with a breastfeeding chair, play carpets, a KidsBox, bouncing animals, blackboard & crayon and much more. In addition, the library is equipped with four workstations with electricity. Place to learn - parent-child room >>
MAKING CITIES AND SETTLEMENTS INCLUSIVE, SAFE, RESILIENT AND SUSTAINABLE
Libraries are trustworthy institutions that provide a basis for cultural inclusion and communication that promotes mutual cultural understanding.
- With over 70 collection portals, we document, digitize and preserve cultural heritage for future generations. Collections & Specializations >>
- Within the scope of our provenance research, we try to clarify the origin and the changing ownership of our historical stock, to register it nationwide and to restitute it in the case of Nazi looted property. Researching, registering and restituting provenances (German) >>
- We offer numerous exhibitions, lectures and panel discussions in evening events. We have thus become a cultural centre for students and members of the University of Cologne and also for interested citizens of the City of Cologne. Exhibitions & Lectures >>
- hanks to our large historical stock, museums and documentation centres direct loan requests to us. If there are no conservational reasons against it, our books go on a journey >>
ENSURE SUSTAINABLE CONSUMPTION AND PRODUCTION PATTERNS
- We have a large amount of literature on the topic of sustainability and thus support research and teaching in this area. Finding & Borrowing in the UCL-Portal >>
- As a lending library with 40,000 registered users, over 900,000 loans (print media only) and more than 4 million e-books, approx. 150,000 e-journals and approx. 1,650 databases, we act in a sustainable manner.